Monday, October 02, 2006

Finding My Way : My Newfound Adventure - Part 1


Never in my whole life did I imagine myself to have an opportunity to explore the most romantic city in the world, PARIS. On September 17th, I was scheduled to go to London for a squash tournament for one week, representing the airline (in which I got trashed really badly seeing how out of shape I was) and to return to Dubai immediately on the 24th. Who knew that my one week of exploring London would turn out to be more like an amazing race to Paris.

My newfound lover came over to London two days before I was supposed to leave for Dubai. Which was initially supposed to be a two day visit for him to spend time with me (because we don't have the time to spend with each other in Dubai), I gues the both of us longed for more of each other's company and we were both convinced that I should go to Paris with him. It was one of the most spontaneous things I did in my life. No planning, no ticket, no money, no credit cards for emergencies, no accomodation booking, no nothing. Besides, I didn't mind taking the chance because he was going to be with me at all time (at least I hoped he would).

On my flight to Paris, it suddenly dawned on me how crazy I was to be doing something so uncertain and risky, something I wouldn't want to be caught dead for knowing my insecure self. Man, what if something went wrong and I was stuck at the airport for not having any visas or something?! I was shaking out of nervousness and was perspiring cold sweat. I could hear my own heart beating faster and could feel my blood rushing through all veins. It was so nerve-wrecking that I had only two options : stop, turn back abd tell the Emirates staff that I wanted an immediate flight back to Dubai or I could just waltz past the passport control and face whatever that was in store for me in Paris.

The journey from Charles De Gaulle airport to his home took an approximately 40 minutes and I could not help but feel nervous yet excited. He was a big help in assuring me that everything was going to be fine (yeah, right!) Then the moment of truth came. We have reached his family's house. Outside the main gates, I could see a small building structure probably about 200 metres away. The building had a wooden door on each side and I thought, "Ok, this is not so bad, just chill". So I decided to comment on how cute and simple is house was but then later to find out that it was the garage. (DUH!!) That was actually what made me felt even more scared. He directed me towards the back of the garage (which seemed like a house to me) towards the REAL house. I tried taking small steps so it would prolong the time for us both to get to the main door but it seemed like he was rushing towards it. What was supposed to be 10 minutes felt like time just flew past and I was already at the front door. Like any other people, I thought that he wouldn't possibly have the house keys (because he doesn't live there anymore) and would have to press the doorbell. As my eyes were busy searching for the doorbell, his hand spontaneously reached into his right pocket and pulled out a set of keys. Just before I was able to stop him so I could take a deep breath to prepare myself, he swiftly inserted the key into the keyhole and twisted it. The door swung open and a smiling red-headed lady stood there welcomed us.

I stood there in shock as I never did get my 'preparation-breath' and had to put on a smile. As per norm I introduced myself and thanked them for putting my up for the night. Suddenly, a tall figure walking down the staircase on my left appeared and introduced himself as Mr. Yves. For a second I nearly believed in Santa Clause againi but I took a step back to reconsider the fact about Santa and shaving his beard off. It was his father. The couple were most accomodating but I still felt nervous. We were asled to have dinner and they learned more about me, where I came from, how I got to know their son, what culture I was most familiar with, the works. Not long after the conversation, his sister walks in. The whole 'meeting-the-Beurel-family' was such a nerve-wrecking experience for me but they are the nicest people I have ever met.

After dinner the plan was to meet up at Isabel's place for a movie. His other friend came over to pick us up and headed over to her place for some drinks and Constantine. It was a nice relaxing evening I must say. Not bad for a first-hand experience with the locals and their lifestyle. It left me a really good feeling about this foreign land.

1 Comments:

Blogger Perky said...

Oohh sounds like a really good time =)
Love the house. It's so cute!
Can't wait to read part 2 ;)

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home